market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] scales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Susan Ventura" <sue AT dragonfly-farms.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] scales
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 11:18:46 -0500

I use a Mettler Toledo Xpress 15LB capacity (see link below) for the last 6 years.   We just do veggies so haven’t really needed to weigh more than 15lb often at a farmers market.  The scale has held up pretty well but it does have a quirk in that it sometimes reads with a weight on it even when there is nothing on the platter (have sent it back to be recalibrated once).  The weight is really small like .0025 lbs so its within tolerance.  This mostly happens when its been sitting in the sun for awhile.  I shut the scale off then turn it back on and it resets to zero.   It takes 4 D batteries and they last me all season (I do 4 farmers markets a week and also use the scale back at the farm to help weigh stuff to go into CSA shares).

I do have to get it sealed by the Sealer of Weights and Measures in our county every year to use it at farmers markets in our state.    We’ll be looking to buy another one this year so am also interested in what others have used and like.

http://www.scalesgalore.com/mettler_toledo_economy_price_computing.htm