market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] wrinkling butternut squash

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] wrinkling butternut squash
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 21:39:54 -0500

The squash is fine to use at this point.  I am thinking maybe it is a little cool, or drying out though it is in our basement and we have not run the woodstove down there this year, to keep them from getting to hot or dry.

The beets were in milk crates, covered with plastic, in the cooler.  Not in sand.  And they have a lot of mold/slime on the tops end.  I have stored them in Buckhorn totes before and don't remember having this problem.  How long of tops do folks leave on beets for storage?  The tops, and inch or two long, are most black slime with a few nice pink inner "leaves".   On those with shorter stems, they have decayed down into the beet.

have to get better at the storage thing - we have a market for root crops in the winter.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY
Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com
Become a Fan on Facebook

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and geese

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe