market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Paper Mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Paper Mulch
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 16:18:48 -0600

Title: Re: [Market-farming] Paper Mulch
Phil - we used paper mulch from www.weedguardplus.com last year.  I used it in the hightunnel under the tomatoes and outside on the onion bed.  It ships from Colorado and it is heavy but I received an email from them recently that they were able to offer lower shipping rates – not sure how.

I liked using it, especially for the onions because they get weedy so quickly.  Of course, weeds did come up through the holes but it wasn’t like those whole weedy onion beds I’ve managed to create in years past.  It did split a couple of places due to shrinkage after being wet and the wind caught some of it and flapped it around but it didn’t tear off and we just piled soil on the tear and it was fine.  It degraded outside possibly a little early but last year was so wet that we were degrading also.  We laid it by hand and with a couple of good shovelers and no wind it wasn’t bad at all to lay on freshly tilled soil.

As I remember it comes in 500 foot rolls.  It plants nicely because you wet it just prior to cutting it – we used our garlic dibble (5 dibbles across on a wood frame with handles) and it was easy to make the onion holes.

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, KS