market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] What's in a name?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] What's in a name?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 18:30:41 -0500

Bingo.

I would not pick a name if I could not have the url of the same name.  Fortunately when folks do a search for Carriage House Farm they get our name first, but we are hotly contested with another Carriage House Farm that also works with horses and does a whole lot of equestrian stuff.  Getting at the top of a list is key, but alphabetical is no longer as important as the mighty Google Search.   There are ways to play that game too.

The name was decided before I was born and before the web was ever created.  There is a Canadian B&B that has our name.com and some day I am going to steal it when they are slow in renewing it.

In the end though I am not too sure if it matters completely.  If they can get to you on Facebook and Twitter it may not anymore.  The web = free marketing though and that is JUST as important as growing the food.  We could never afford the equivalent exposure we have now if we had to do it the old fashioned way 20 years ago....heck even 15 years ago.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855