market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] What's in a name?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brigette Leach" <afhg AT ctsmail.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] What's in a name?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 15:10:43 -0500

Names do matter. We've been Avalon Farms since 1932, Great-grandfather named the operation, and the farm has been well known in the area for cash crop and livestock production, as well as the elevator and feed store he operated for a number of years. Avalon Farms is our "legal" business name, the one registered with the county. For marketing purposes, we refer to the greenhouse and produce part of the operation, a more recently developed enterprise which enabled our daughter to return to the farm from the corporate world, as Avalon Farms Homegrown. We were already aware of several other "Avalon Farm" and "Avalon Farms" in Michigan prior to starting to utilize the internet for marketing. In fact, their bills were often sent to us, especially repair bills from equipment dealers. Hope some of ours went to them and got paid...right!

Anyway, I guess my point is to make you aware of how often Avalon is used. Perhaps a quick Google of any name you are considering will be helpful.

Brigette
Avalon Farms Homegrown
Share of the Farm