market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] What's in a name?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] What's in a name?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 14:26:23 -0500

On Dec 23, 2010, at 2:11 PM, HERBKDR AT aol.com wrote:

Personal opinion...I think Avalon Farms, LLC sounds a bit more professional.  I guess it would depend on the market you are trying to attract.  If you are selling at a local farmers market only, Wendy's Produce sounds kind of neighborly.  But if you sell to restaurants too, then Avalon Farms, LLC sounds more serious.

Karin
Herb'n Renewal ®

You don't need to put the "LLC" part on your farmers' market signs; you could just be Avalon Farms at market.

I think the question with the LLC is whether this is a better business setup for you; not whether you want LLC as part of the name that you put on your signs, or in ads for the market. If the LLC business setup works better, then you should do that. If a sole proprietorship or partnership works better for you, then do that. Either form could have either Avalon Farms, or Wendy's Produce, or something else entirely for the rest of the name (though considering the number of reactions mentioning the chain Wendy's, you might actually want to avoid that if you're going to be doing anything other than very local sales).