market-farming - [Market-farming] Cost of land as % of gross sales?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sundari Elizabeth Kraft <sundari93 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Cost of land as % of gross sales?
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 19:01:29 -0800 (PST)

I currently run an urban farming project that operates using a model (Neighborhood Supported Agriculture) in which homeowners donate their yards. I don't pay for the land, but the homeowners receive a share of the produce.

I've been offered a somewhat larger piece of land (about 8x bigger than my average yard), but the homeowner wants to collect rent in exchange for use of the land. I'm willing to pay something, but I think that his perception of what the land is worth is a bit "off."

For those of you that pay for land, can you give me an estimation of what you pay compared to what you reap in gross sales off of that land? (I'm not counting what you pay for water, etc -- just for the land.)

Thank you so much for your help.

-Sundari Kraft

---
Heirloom Gardens, LLC.