market-farming - [Market-farming] re. Mulching with large rectangular bales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Atkerson <jay AT mcreccwb.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] re. Mulching with large rectangular bales
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:59:46 -0600

This season I tried using straw bales that were 8 feet long with 3 feet x 3
feet "flakes" to mulch strawberries for winter. I usually only use the
small bales but was offered some large to use so gave them a shot. The ones
I used were not difficult to break into the flakes, but were packed so
tightly that it was really hard to fluff them and spread by hand

Which is easier to break apart...a large round bale or a large rectangular bale? I'm not interested in fluffing since I just want a heavy cover of a garden area I don't intend to roto-till but want to try no-till in preparation of planting beans, squash, corn tomatoes and cucumbers. Spring planting is often delayed (South-central Kentucky - zone 6B) due to excessive moisture and I'm planning to pull the mulch back, set transplants and pull the mulch back around the transplant. Rows will be much closer and will not be cultivated-- don't want to kill earthworms nor expose soil to sun. I anticipate the soil to warm much slower but this may be a trade-off to no-till. I had good success this past season with a heavy mulch around indeterminate tomatoes having to irrigate very infrequently in a prolonged drouth.

Jay