market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmall Super A

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmall Super A
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 19:15:44 +0000

This is such an important technique.  I must say that I know I have been driving the tractor too much when I reach for the left or right brake, driving my truck, trying to get into a tight space! ‘Course, I learned to drive a tractor on my grandfather’s old Farmalls – no power steering on those babies! And, my tractor pedals are never latched together.

If you ever have a chance, go to a “tractor square dance”.  Usually done with antique “tricycle” tractors, it is an amazing thing to watch that kind of control.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

Certainly you lose space with any tractor to headlands required for turning but you can minimize this with tight turning equipment.  The best way to turn a tractor in a tight spot and the way most farmers did it was with the brakes.(this was particularly the case pre-power steering)  The brake pedals on the Super A can be latched together or operated independently.  If you have good working brakes you simply raise the implement turn the steering wheel a bit and step on the brake.  It takes a bit of playing around with but you can turn the things on a dime.