market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmall Super A vs eco weeder

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dalew Farms" <dalew AT phonenet.ca>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmall Super A vs eco weeder
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 06:52:09 -0500

Hello everyone,

I found the discussion around the Super A quite interesting since I'm also considering buying one.  Specifically, I'm interested in hearing thoughts on the merits of a Super A or Cub type little tractor vs buying an eco weeder.  (If you aren't famaliar with an eco weeder, try this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_R-fTC7uYk&playnext=1&list=PL3202DFBE5C55466E&index=30  I find this video more useful than the company's own youtube video!)

Currently, we are growing most of our rows on 42" centres.  What I'm trying to weigh for our operation is that if I was to purchase an eco weeder, I'd have to either widen up my rows alot to use a 1 row weeder with my existing 60hp tractor, or purchase a 2 row eco weeder and widen the stance on my current tractor.  If I do that, I need 3 people to weed (2 weeder operators and a tractor driver) but would only need 1 person to run a Super A or Cub type tractor, and also wouldn't have to change my row width much, if at all for a Super A.  We currently have around 6+ acres of veggies, and seem to have demand for more every year - I'm not sure where we'll stop, but I hope its before we get to 10 acres!  Our beans and corn are grown on 32" centres and weeded with a two row scuffler, but most of our cole crops, potatoes, and many others a walk behind roto tiller is still our main weeding tool for between the 42" rows.  I'm finding we just don't seem to have the time to get that done exactly when it needs to be, as often as it needs to be.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, and I'd especially glad to hear from anyone who has used an eco weeder on their thoughts!

Thanks and Happy New year in advance to everyone!

Dave