market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Modern day root cellar?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Hurtgen Meadows <hurtgenmeadows AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Modern day root cellar?
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 17:18:06 -0500

I think I can manage the physical part of the deal -- bury 44" high cube about 22-24 inches deep, access hole about 24 inches wide and occupying 12 inches of the vertical face and 12 inches of the top face (approx hole size - 24x24).  Cleats on the inside side walls for two shelves.  Total shelf space - approx 20 square feet on the two shelves.  Produce stored in buckets or crates.  Bottom edge of access hole to be about 6 inches above grade.  Hay piled over closed cube for insulation.  Any suggestions about how much exposure is needed to the earth to keep humidity relatively high?  Any thoughts on whether a fresh air intake and stale air exhaust are needed?  Thanks for any suggestions or observations.  Tom (zone 7b, central NC)