market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Over-wintered Carrots and Spring growth

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Over-wintered Carrots and Spring growth
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 10:50:50 EST

We use to store carrots all winter till spring in our cave when I was a kid.  Used buckets, layered sand in the bucket, then another layer of carrots, and more sand , and more carrots.  Keep them all winter and usually we were still eating them at Easter time if there was any left.  Pulled in the fall before the ground froze, our cave was always full of Potato's, cabbage, onions, turnips, parsnips, apples, and anything else we could find to put in there.  Some parts of the good old days was very sustainable compared to today's living.

Phil from Iowa