market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] waterwheel transplanter

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rob Wallbridge" <rob AT songberry.ca>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] waterwheel transplanter
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 22:32:03 -0500

Hi Mike,

I’d echo David’s comments – we use one for all of our transplanting, on and off plastic. Soil build-up is a minor issue, especially on the soils with more clay content, and I generally knock it off at the end of each row – if not, once in a while it will completely plug a hole and prevent water from coming out – then it’s a real pain to have to stop half-way down a row to clear it.

The water flow on my unit is adjustable with a regular tap at the outlet on each side.

I’ve got a 12-inch and a 24-inch wheel, so for onions where I want closer spacing, I rig a chain from the wheel to the frame to hold it from turning, then drive down the row, creating a wet furrow to follow behind and transplant into (my tractor lacks a creeper gear, so setting plants at 12 inches is about as fast as a rider can work).

At first, people envy the job of the tractor driver, but once they experience the tedium, they want to be part of the action on the transplanter. With a Blackberry in hand, however, I find it a great opportunity to catch up on emails and my Twitter feed! J

Happy weekend to all,

Rob

Rob Wallbridge

Songberry Organic Farm