market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] waterwheel transplanter

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] waterwheel transplanter
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 17:53:45 -0600

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:47:52AM -0500, idyllwild farm wrote:
> Is anyone using a waterwheel transplanter on bare soil? Either with water or
> without. For transplanting or hole marking.
> Also can you adjust the slug of water that comes out.

I used a waterwheel for a few years. Both on bare ground and through
plastic. Many years ago. I put a metering valve on mine above the
on/off valve. The waterwheel didn't work well on bare sticky soil,
mud built up on the wheel preventing the spikes from reaching intended
depth. Worked fine in sandy soil.

We would discard faulty plants as we went; surprisingly, many of those
discarded plants took root.

As I recall, I was then using 2" peat pots in flats of 96.

I quit using the transplanter when I scaled back my tomato planting and
found it easier to send a single guy out to hand plant. I used to
plant ~20,000 tomatoes in a season, now, it is just a few hundred. More
recently, I have been flooding freshly plowed furrows. Then throw down
transplants in the mud. Then press them in with the back of a hoe.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 67 days 14 hours 47 minutes