market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] a research project is born

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: andrea davis <andrea.m.davis AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] a research project is born
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 09:31:25 -0700

   I think there are a lot of young farmers coming out of higher education but you have to look away from land grant universities.  I went to Hampshire College a small liberal arts college with a working farm.  I entered college with plans to study art but quickly changed my academic focus to farming from the experience of doing work study on the farm. The courses were based on sustainable agriculture.  You were also encouraged to apprentice on farms during the summer.
   There are many other non-state schools that are really getting into sustainable agriculture education.  Teaching not only sustainable growing methods but also sustainable marketing techniques.
   Post college I spent a few years creating edible gardens for restaurants and private clients, now I've been operating my own mini farm for the last 3 years.

Young people are getting into farming they're just thinking outside of the box

Andrea

quarter acre farm
sonoma, ca