market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Advice on Moving a greenhouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Advice on Moving a greenhouse
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 12:18:59 -0500

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 08:40:46 -0700 (PDT), Jay Sleichter wrote:
> It is looking like I am the proud new owner of a 30 by 48 greenhouse.  The
> price is really right. I do need to disassemble it and move it. The owner
> isn't in a big hurry to get it moved, but I want to get it done before the
> snow starts to fly and the ground gets frozen!  It is cemented in the ground
> and I will have to cut off the ground posts.
>
> For those of you who have moved one, can you offer any advice or mistakes to
> try to avoid.  I  am planning on marking everything multiple times and take
> lots of pictures prior to taking it down, any other ideas?

I dismantled and moved a 30x96 house. You'll want 2 or 3 stepladders,
including one that will let you work comfortably and safety at the peak. For
me, that meant erecting a stepladder in the back of my pickup.

Electricity on site is a big help, especially to run a sawzall for rusted
bolts.

Watch out for nails, etc in the soil.

If there is still plastic on it, consider what dimensions you want it in
before slicing it up. I used mine to cover cold-weather low tunnels.

I attached a pulley to the intact frame to lower the heaters into the bed of
my truck. If you have a partner, this step would be a lot easier with two
people. I also used the pulley to lower the bows to the ground--very easy
work once they are free of the ground posts.

I brought everything home in my little pickup. I slung the half-bows onto a
rack, bow pointing down and back, lashed them tight, and drove slowly.

--
Richard Robinson
www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/