market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Irrigation Systems

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "stonecirclefarm tds.net" <stonecirclefarm AT tds.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Irrigation Systems
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 07:54:51 -0500

Allan, can you please share the citation (title, author, etc.) of the University article on drip lines and their impact on roots?  Thanks.

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 5:49 AM, Allan.Balliett <allan.balliett AT gmail.com> wrote:
 a fear I substantiate earlier this week when I read a university paper on how drip lines concentrate plant roots and root activity under the drip, reducing the availability of soil nutrients, particularly broadcast fertilizers, to the plants. It was the case for us that we saw little 'mushrooming' of the t-tape irrigation water during the drought and, rather, deep narrow mud areas under the tape. (I'm talking about first year beds that lacked much soil structure and probably lost any they had as they became more dry.)