market-farming - [Market-farming] Small-scale Fueling System Recommendations?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Small-scale Fueling System Recommendations?
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 18:33:36 -0500

I was curious if anybody had recommendations for a smaller scale farm fueling
system? We use both gasoline and diesel.

We don't go through fuel very quickly, so having a big tank on an elevated
stand is not a good option for us. These tanks are usually a hundred or more
gallons, and it would take us forever to use that much fuel. Also, nobody
around here will deliver for less than 200-300 gallons.

We started off simply with just 5-gallon containers. Hoisting 40 lb full
containers of fuel up and down off of the tractors and trying to pour without
spilling is cumbersome. There must be a better way.

We looked around for a smaller fuel caddy and ended up buying this one last
August made by DuraMax <http://www.flo-n-go.com/products/product_duramax/>.
We initially liked it so much that we ended up buying a second unit for
gasoline about a month ago. In the last week, since we bought the second
one, we've learned the first unit has developed a leak via a split in the
hose near where it connects to the tank, and the nozzle broke off of the
syphon handle. Mind you, we treat our equipment fairly gently, so we were
surprised when this barely year old unit developed two problems in such a
short amount of time.

Meanwhile, the newer one's hose, while supposedly made of a better,
less-likely-to-kink material than the older one's hose, kinks horribly. I
contacted the company about replacement hose and/or syphon handle, which I
learned you can buy only as a single unit. The local place that sells this
product line wants $55 plus shipping (the entire unit new costs MSRP $139.99,
or it can be had from some of the big big box stores for $89.99); the
manufacturer wants $45 for the replacement hose and syphon assembly including
shipping. Either way, it's way too expensive to have to replace each year,
and if the replacement hose is made from the same stuff as the newer one I
bought, I'd be just setting myself up for more kinking issues. Plus, it
shouldn't be breaking after only a year anyway.

Was just wondering if anybody else had a fueling system they really liked
that didn't take up a lot of room and wasn't terribly expensive. I don't
mind paying a fair price for a good caddy, but it needs to last a while to
justify the money. I don't have the option of having a fuel tank in a pickup
to haul around. I need something that two medium sized women can hoist full.

Thanks,
Laurie
NE TX
Zones 7&8