market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Small-scale Fueling System Recommendations?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Nffrancisc <nffrancisc AT aol.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Small-scale Fueling System Recommendations?
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 00:22:20 -0400 (EDT)

safety is always a conern especially when fueling.  we use a http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200351099_200351099 to transfer oil and diesel. We purchased extra hose from a hydraulic hose supplier so we can transfer fuel to and from different tanks or 5 gal cans as we need it or even directly into the tractors fuel tank.  we like it as an electric powered pump it makes transfering, storing, filling h variety of containers we use for oil and diesel(we use 400-500 gal / month of oil which is a lot to load into and from storage).  However, it won't work on volitiles like gasoline or alcohol.  for them we use http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200338576_200338576.  again we can reverse the crank to fill the caddy or a tank depending on clockwise or counterclockwise cranking.  This caddy has a gound for spark arrester so it's safe for gasoline if you ground it.  We do not use much gasoline.  all fuel transfer takes place on a concrete pad we have plans to add a cover and containement for spill control.  currently we use sand and or commercial spill control material to contain and pick up any spills.  todate all spills have been less than a quart but there is a concern for tank failure.
hope this helps