market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Steam Rolled Barley?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Steam Rolled Barley?
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 18:21:24 -0500

On Aug 30, 2010, at 11:18 AMAug/30/10, KAKerby AT aol.com wrote:

I think it's the straw, not the barley grain, that is required.  But I know that online pond supply retailers usually carry "barley balls" for natural pest control.  Those barley balls are pretty common, or at least used to be.  I Googled "pond supplies barley" and it auto-filled-in the "straw", then gave me a lot of hits.  You should be able to get a box of barley straw balls or wads or something for a reasonable amount without buying a whole bale.

Thanks for the info, Kathryn.  I had looked at the pond suppliers for barley straw, but I'm told by people that know much more about this than I that I'd need 3-4 square bales twice a year to treat my pond, once in early Spring and again about a month later.  In order to get that much, I'd have to spend between  $60-$100 each time at all the online sites I could find.  I was hoping to find a more cost-effective solution.  I put a WTB ad up on CraigsList and somebody in the area has contacted me, so I'll see where that goes.

Thanks,
Laurie in NE TX where it has drizzled on and off all day and has not crossed 90F for the first time since May…yea!

  • Re: [Market-farming] Steam Rolled Barley?, Barking Cat Farm, 09/02/2010