market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Soy-free, Corn-free Chicken Feed: Why?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Carla Shafer <cs13 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Soy-free, Corn-free Chicken Feed: Why?
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 19:41:46 -0500

Here is a discussion that may help with the soy question -- or it may confuse you more -- just very interesting stuff:

http://www.organicfeeds.biz/2009/05/why-use-soy-free-organic-chicken-feed/

Carla Shafer, Farmer
Earthly Goods Farm
3344 Hwy 438
Pleasantville, TN 37033

ph 931 230-7567                    Visit us on the web at http://www.EarthlyGoodsFarm.com

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Chrys Ostrander <chrys AT thefutureisorganic.net> wrote:
We're beginning to raise chickens for egg production as well as broilers. Some of our customers want both the egg-laying chickens and the meat chickens to be raised on soy-free and corn-free feed (we also have them on pasture, feed them alfalfa hay and plant residues from our market garden). We have found an in-state source for organic corn-free and soy-free chicken feed. Okay, so some other folks I work with are skeptical about all this. What I need is an "elevator speech" about why organic chicken feed should be soy-free and corn-free. If anyone could supply me with some valid, supported reasons (possibly including some citations to relevant literature), I would be very grateful.

I personally, apparently, don't have any food allergies, but I understand there might be the possibility of folks with soy or corn allergies having a reaction to meat and/or eggs from chickens that have been fed those foods. Is this valid? I note that the soy-free and corn-free chicken feed I've seen usually contains wheat. Seems like there are many folks who are sensitive to wheat, why don't I see more written about wheat-free chicken feed?

If someone is allergic to neither corn or soy, are there advantages for them in eating chicken meat and/or eggs that are from chickens fed a soy-free and corn-free diet?

One customer relayed to me something his nutritionist said and that is that eggs from chickens fed corn have a detrimental balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Does anyone have more information on this?

I don't mind going soy-free and corn-free as long as the chickens are healthy. Folks seem to be responding very positively when we tell them we'll be using soy-free and corn-free feed. I just want to be able to talk to the folks who have questions as if I know what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
--
Chrys Ostrander, Director of Farming Programs
p.e.a.c.h. Community Farms and Gardens

People for Environmental Action and Community Health

p.e.a.c.h. Community Farm at Pine Meadow
10425 S. Andrus Rd.
Cheney, Wa 99004
509-448-3066
chrys AT thefutureisorganic.net