market-farming - [Market-farming] Tomato Fruitworms and other worms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Tomato Fruitworms and other worms
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 21:10:27 -0700 (PDT)

All of a sudden I am seeing Tomato Fruitworms and other worms eating my tomatoes and even my Cherry Tomatoes!  I have scouted for eggs and I can't find any.  Will spraying with Bt help take care of them?  Is there something that is better?

My question about spraying them is this. There is so much foliage, how much will I need to spray to ensure good coverage?

I have had one or two before, but this year it is alot worse.  In the past they ate a few and I never had anymore problems. This year I am seeing more damage and I hope it does not get out of hand.

Also, is broccoli and cauliflower a "gateway" crop?  A "gateway" meaning that when you plant these crops they bring in more bugs, worms and moths that cause more problems? I didn't have these problems when I didn't grow these crops.

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas
www.jaysjellies.com