market-farming - [Market-farming] having someone make canned goods

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] having someone make canned goods
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 17:07:49 -0400

Anyone have experience/knowledge of working with a local restaurant to have them make canned goods from our excess veggies that we and they could sell?  I am thinking salsas, barbecue sauce, tomato sauce, berry jams, etc.  I don't know what fair cost sharing is.  It would be their recipes, and I think we would put both the restaurant and the farm on the label.  We are planning to take our farmers market through the winter and having even basic tomato items in the winter would sell I think.

For that matter, anyone have/willing to share some good recipes.  Anyother option is a startup baker could do it in the certified kitchen they built.  She could use more business/work. For that I would give recipes as an option for her to use or start from.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY
Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com
Become a Fan on Facebook

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and geese

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe