market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Perpetual chard

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pam Twin Oaks <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Perpetual chard
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 17:13:23 -0400

Chris O'Brian said:
<We've had a very late cold and rainy spring here in the Pacific NW, and the
perpetual chard bolted, while the 3 or 4 other varieties of chard that we
grow have been fine.  From this, I take it that perpetual chard isn't
perpetual with regards to other chards, but compared to spinach which it
tastes similar to. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Also, does anyone have any experience in growing this variety over the
winter?>

I've not had this happen with perpetual chard, but we have had  Ruby Chard bolting in the summer of the eyar we planted it. Could be that the cold spell caused it to act as if in year two.

As for over-wintering - how cold does it get where you are? We have overwintered it here in zone 7 with usual success (some die), uncovered. I think it would work for you.

Pam, Twin Oaks COmmunity, Louisa, VA

  • Re: [Market-farming] Perpetual chard, Pam Twin Oaks, 07/04/2010