market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] having someone make canned goods

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] having someone make canned goods
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 18:34:07 -0400

On Jul 4, 2010, at 5:07 PM, Beth Spaugh wrote:

Anyone have experience/knowledge of working with a local restaurant to have them make canned goods from our excess veggies that we and they could sell?  I am thinking salsas, barbecue sauce, tomato sauce, berry jams, etc.  I don't know what fair cost sharing is.  It would be their recipes, and I think we would put both the restaurant and the farm on the label.  We are planning to take our farmers market through the winter and having even basic tomato items in the winter would sell I think.

For that matter, anyone have/willing to share some good recipes.  Anyother option is a startup baker could do it in the certified kitchen they built.  She could use more business/work. For that I would give recipes as an option for her to use or start from.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY

Beth, I've no experience with actually doing this, but I think that in NY the recipes need to be approved by NY State (so as to make sure the type of processing and the processing times are correct for what's actually in the jars).

That doesn't mean that you can't make up your own recipes, but you may need to get them approved before actually making the product. You might want to check with Ag and Markets both as to whether I've actually got this right, and as to what the process is for approval if you do need to do this.

Berry jams, I'm fairly sure, are in a different category than tomato sauces, salsas, etc. because they are definitely acidic enough not to get botulism; modern tomatoes sometimes aren't, even as straight tomatoes, and adding other veggies can make them less acidic yet.