market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] compost my septic sludge?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pamela Crowe <sustainableharvestsc AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] compost my septic sludge?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 23:10:53 -0400

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:47 PM, cjmaness AT juno.com <cjmaness AT juno.com> wrote:
I think, and I'm certainly no expert here, but when "they" are spraying sewage sludge it is on sod farms.  Which is considered an agriculture crop.
Some things can be labeled for Agriculture use, and not necessarily mean food crops.
I guess I fall into the category of people who would be very leery of buying any food that had been fertilized with human waste, composted or not. But then again,  years ago, I too have gardened on top of septic tank lateral lines and not thought a thing about it.

I remember reading somewhere that any carnivore manure is tainted, etc. That only the manure of herbivores is okay for food crops. It might have something to do with the way we break down meat in our digestive systems---bacteria, etc.

Wonder now what is the natural system--------------or maybe there are far too many people to be a fully sustainable planet?????????

Pam
SC