market-farming - [Market-farming] Fava bean prices, unshelled and shelled?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Fava bean prices, unshelled and shelled?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 17:30:43 -0400

Am headed out to pick our first fava beans for market tomorrow. Have
never seen them in three years of selling there.

Trying to set a price, am thinking of $2-3/lb unshelled. Please
advise on this price.

If someone goes to market tomorrow with me tomorrow, I could shell
them out on the way there.
Am thinking then of selling the shelled peas for the same price as
unshelled, that is however many result from a pound of intact pods,
for the pound price.

Anyone sell shelled English peas?

Sold pitted sour cherries for a premium on Tues, but keeping them
pretty is a lot more tedious than shelling beans and peas.

Richard Moyer
SW VA
Finally dry enough to make hay