market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Poison Ivy!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Poison Ivy!
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 09:23:48 -0400

This study showed that Tecnu, Goop, and Dial dishwashing soap were all better
than nothing:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10940115
To evaluate the efficacy of three different modes of postcontact prevention
using a surfactant (Dial ultra dishwashing soap), an oil-removing compound
(Goop), and chemical inactivation (a commercial product Tecnu)...Each subject
served as his/her own control, comparing four 2.5-cm exposed squares on the
inner aspect of the forearm, three of which were treated and one untreated.
RESULTS: Comparisons between the different agents were nonsignificant with P
> 0.05. Each treatment, however, was significantly improved over the
untreated control. CONCLUSIONS: Our study showed 70%, 61.8%, and 56. 4%
protection with Tecnu, Goop, and Dial, respectively, when compared to the
positive control, or to the possible maximum response, with a cost per ounce
(in a local drug and automotive store) of $1.25, $0.07, and $0.07,
respectively, for a decrease in protection that is nonsignificant.

Jewelweed, on the other hand, is not effective:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9249283
There was no statistically significant difference in the objective scores at
the sites treated with jewelweed extract versus the distilled water control
sites.

Once my skin gets itchy, I wash with extremely hot water frequently, which I
think helps purge the mast cells and bring about some countervailing reaction
within my immune system. No science I know of backs this up, but it feels
better than doing nothing. I also treat liberally with cortisone cream.

--
Richard Robinson
www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/