market-farming - [Market-farming] mature chard/spinach

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "" <jbmckillip AT mesanetworks.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] mature chard/spinach
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 07:49:15 -0700

I have mature chard and spinach in the high tunnel, market it tomorrow am, and it is going to be hot and windy.  Forcast 80 with 30+mph winds.  I need to get the rest of the chard and spinach out of hte tunnel, so I can get my tomatoes and peppers in those spots.  Question: how do I keep them from wilting?  Last week I cut them and put them in water in a couple large rubbermaid tubs, the temps were in the 40's and they still got wilted.  How does the grocery store keep their fresh produce looking fresh?  I see chard and spinach in bundles at the store.  Thanks!

Barb
Front Range, Colorado