market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] cowpeas vs stinkbugs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] cowpeas vs stinkbugs
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 09:48:08 -0500

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 07:07:30AM -0500, Wendy's Produce wrote:
> Last year we had terrible problems with stinkbugs on our pinkeye purple hull
> peas.  The local co-op recommended Thionex 3EC (I have a restricted
> pesticide license).  It kinda worked, but its nasty stuff – we’re trying
> hard to stay away from anything stronger than Sevin or BT this year.  Anyone
> have any advice on what to use?  The Southeast vegetable crop handbook
> (great resource, btw -  http://www.aces.edu/dept/com_veg/)  recommends
> herbicidal oil.  I also thought about using some Neem derivative (Any good
> (i.e. cheap) sources for those?).

The past few years, I've been using Mustang Max with pretty good
results. Also, malathion and dimethoate have 1 and 0 day wait to
harvest intervals and will probably work fairly well.

Mustang goes on at 1-4 oz/ac while malathion is 1-2 pints/ac.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 71 days 3 hours 41 minutes