market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] mature chard/spinach

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Owsley lucy <boulderbelt AT embarqmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] mature chard/spinach
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 10:56:08 -0400

The grocery store don't have to deal with wind and other elements, keep the produce cooler at 42 and the produce gets a light mist every 10 minutes or so.

Personally I bag all my greens, put out no more than 3 to 4 bags of any one type at a time (with the rest left in the coolers). The greens will hold for the entire market. When you customers get them home they will still be in great shape and should hold for up to 14 days in their fridge.

That said I doubt you will have time to bag everything, assuming you have produce bags and a scale on hand, much less the time to bag it all. So when I did not bag what I would do is put out 2 bunches of what ever and those would be the "sacrificial" greens-i.e. I knew these would be unsellable in an hour or less and I would get people what they wanted out of the coolers where the greens stayed fresh. About every hour I would put new display greens out and toss the spent ones in the compost or give them away.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm
Eaton, OH