market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Was: Cowpeas; Now Gourmet Summer green.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland <rootsfarm AT cwdom.dm>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Was: Cowpeas; Now Gourmet Summer green.
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 12:36:56 -0400

Both the Chioggia and Indigo types of the head radicchios worked well.  (Fedco and Johnnys are among those who carry.)   We also found surprising tolerance to both rain and drought conditions.  (Note: we have young volcanic really "alive" soil conditions and intense sun -- almost feels like a different quality of light.  Most plants really like growing here -- a few exceptions: e.g., spinach, brussels -- but may be that the mineral rich soil and abundant photoenergy go a long way towards overcoming other plant growing preferences.)  Slugs and cutworms were minor perturbances.

Hope the radicchio does equally as well for you or even better.

All best wishes,

Karen

Roots Farm
Organic Produce