market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Was: Pea Tendrils, now Cowpeas

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Nan Hildreth <NanHildreth AT riseup.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Was: Pea Tendrils, now Cowpeas
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 13:33:37 -0500

Cowpeas are NOT peas, not Pisum Sativum, but Vigna ungulata. Cowpea leaves don't taste great and may have to be cooked.

What's a gourmet summer green?

Nan

At 01:14 PM 5/8/2010, Richard Moyer wrote:
Being a Georgia boy, we grow and eat lots of cowpeas. Great summer
cover/smother crop, has extra-floral nectaries to attract many types
of beneficial insects. Thrives in drought and poor soil.

But as noted, better sample some of these tendrils before devoting
space for fresh market. The ones we grow (pinkeye purple hull and
some crowders) have tendrils with a strong, disagreeable flavor,
nothing like spring (English) peas. And, the end of the vine twines
like a pole bean, not with the fine, feathery tendrils of spring peas.
Not saying cultivars don't exist for fresh eating, but I've not
encountered them. Have talked with Asians and Africans who cook the
growing tips and young leaves, but don't recall anyone who eats them
raw.

As an historical aside, cowpeas once had the place of soybeans in
southern ag rotations, and were one of the crops highly promoted by
George Washington Carver.

We've done well with Austrian Winter Peas for an overwintered or
summer source of tendrils and edible flowers, as noted on this list.
Flowers are an attractive bicolor, will readily reseed to give a late
summer/fall crop of tendrils and blooms. So the farmscaping/insect
habitat strip can still produce salable product.

Richard Moyer
SW VA
Easting locust flower fritters for lunch; couldn't sell many blooms at
market this AM.