market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Growing lights

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Tom <tomsgardens AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Growing lights
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 11:20:18 -0700 (PDT)

I'm a small-timer and grow mostly flowers, but I have had good results from regular shop light fixtures and fluorescent tubes.  I'm sure there can be a difference in using bluer (higher K) or redder (lower K) tubes, but I haven't found it necessary to worry about that.

I use three 4 ft double tube fixtures hung across four 10 x 20 trays as close to the seedlings as possible.  I've not used heating mats.  The lights are enough to keep the growing medium at about 75 F in my basement, and germination has been good with almost everything I've tried.

Tom at Tom's Gardens
Cut Flowers & Veggies
Northern Lower Michigan