market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Flood report from Tennessee

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Flood report from Tennessee
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 12:09:14 -0400

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Carla Shafer  wrote:

Our farm is located in the midst of an Amish/Mennonite community in Middle Tennessee, and our area was hit hard by last weekend's flood - which was classified as a 500-year event.

Yow! Carla, and all in that area: very sorry for the mess you're dealing with. I gather that quite a lot of people got flooded who didn't even know they were in a flood plain.

I wonder whether they'll revise the hundred-year / 500 year / etc. definitions, and whether other areas will look at this and consider whether this whole system needs revising?

We're still discussing how to handle our CSA memberships:

There are others on the list with a lot more CSA knowledge than I have, so take this with as much salt as necessary: but how about holding an emergency CSA meeting (scheduled after members, as well as you, have had a chance to deal with the worst of the mess; but notifying members as soon as possible that you'll need to do this) and discussing the issue? You may find more support than you think for the original CSA idea of having the members share the risk. (Or, of course, you may find less; but at least you'd know what your members are thinking, and they'd know that you're thinking of them.)