market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hakurei Turnips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland <rootsfarm AT cwdom.dm>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hakurei Turnips
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 20:48:23 -0400

We grow Hakurei and Oasis Turnips in Dominica.  They don't seem to mind heat (temp. range 75-90), do amazingly well under dry conditions, love rain -- to a point, then start getting problems with rot.  Best time for us to plant is Oct-Dec.  Later plantings don't get quite as big, but even those that struggle growing slowly haven't gotten woody although they may be less sweet and have more of a strong turnip flavor.  (Earlier plantings suffer from too wet.)  We're happy with roots approx. 2-1/2" in diameter (most are closer to 1-1/2 when the leaves start being badly decimated by insects), but I've bought organically grown Hakurei up in MA (in July? August?) that were probably closer to 3-1/2" or more and these were wonderful in every way.  Oasis is nowhere near as sweet and lovely as Hakurei (grown under our conditions).
.
Beth, I don't like radishes either, but I love Hakurei turnips -- always eat them raw.  Great salad addition.  I tell our customers they're like eating an apple with attitude.  Everyone who tastes comes back for more and folks aren't hesitant to try because they are so attractive.  They are work to clean off the bad leaves and are prone to slug damage, but we sell all we can grow at $6/lb, including leaves.  (The $6 is in EC currency; $1 US = $2.7 EC but  $1 EC in Dominica is really not so different than $1US  in US for locally produced goods.)

Best wishes to all,

Karen (currently freezing, but loving glory of Spring, in western MA)

Roots Farm
Organic Produce
Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs
CockraneDOMINICA