market-farming - [Market-farming] Using Hatfield transplanter for soil blocks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Two Onion Farm <farmer AT twoonionfarm.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Using Hatfield transplanter for soil blocks
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 06:35:00 -0500

Largely because of the good reviews we heard from other folks on this list serve, we purchased a 2" Hatfield transplanter and tried using it to transplant our soil blocks this spring. 2" soil blocks stuck in the chute and did not make it the ground. The transplanter worked well for some 1.5" soil blocks, but we also experienced some issues with the blocks turning sideways or even upside down in the chute and seedlings consequently got partly or wholly buried at the bottom. This was particularly problematic for smaller sized seedlings. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions? A slightly narrower transplanter might work better since it would prevent the blocks from turning around in the chute, but I am pretty sure that the 1.5" transplanter would be too small for 1.5" soil blocks.

Thanks.
Chris

Chris & Juli McGuire
Two Onion Farm