market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Transplanting leggy Zucchini into High Tunnel

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rob Wallbridge" <rob AT songberry.ca>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Transplanting leggy Zucchini into High Tunnel
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 22:33:17 -0400

I’ve always transplanted all of my squash and cucumbers from 50s or 72s into the field. I find cucumbers much more sensitive than squash, so I usually make sure they get out before they get too big. Sometimes, I end up dealing with monster zucchini and squash (like Carla says, it happens overnight), and those long stalks will sometimes twist in the wind and die off, but new stalks and leaves will emerge and the plant will catch up. I use a water wheel transplanter, so although the plants go into a nice environment, they’re not coddled as they’re being transplanted.

Rob Wallbridge

Songberry Organic Farm

24 Sixth Line, Bristol, QC J0X 1G0

email: rob AT songberry.ca

web: www.songberry.ca

facebook: become a fan of "Songberry Organic Farm"