market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Spinach "tip burn"

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Spinach "tip burn"
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 06:56:49 -0500

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 06:24:24AM -0400, Allan.Balliett wrote:

> What say, spinach growers?

Here in central Texas, we can generally produce spinach all winter. It
doesn't do well in November and December; it starts perking up in
January and our big months are February, March, and into April. The
mid-winter plantings last longer before bolting; March plantings do
bolt earlier but may be worth the attempt. I would say persistent
daytime temperatures of 80 indicate the end of spinach. We might make
four to six plantings during the season; maybe every 2-4 weeks.
"Samish" and other similar semi-savoy rust resistant are the preferred
varieties here. Our main maladies are white rust and aphids; I haven't
noticed the described tip burn. I haven't grown much spinach the past
few years, but we have started getting white flies which will probably
be troublesome on spinach.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 37 days 42 min minutes