market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Spinach "tip burn"

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Allan.Balliett" <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Spinach "tip burn"
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 06:24:24 -0400

Chris - For what it's worth, I often have this same effect on my spinach without the use of row covers. My soils are well composted, biologically active and Albrecht mineral balanced. But I still see this quite frequently in spinach. In my case, without any row cover to suspect.

On another spinach issue, we over wintered some spinach in the hoophouse and we started some in January. We've had record highs a month ago (I MEAN 100+ in the hoophouse, fer sure) All the spinach is bolting now. I had understood that spinach bolting had to do with the length of day rather than heat. I guess bolting can be triggered by any stress and that's what's happened to me but it seems that in other years, we've been able to hold good spinach in hot hoophouses (with plenty of water!) until June.

What say, spinach growers?

Is there any point here in the mid-Atlantic in sowing spinach again now? (mid April)

Thanks

_Allan in WV who wonders where Chris grows his spinach

My spinach (Emu F1, now baby leaf size) is showing some leaf tip damage, but it doesn't look like actual tip burn and I believe my calcium levels are okay. It has been covered by floating row cover since planted (for leaf miner), but now I'm suspicious that the row cover is causing the damage (since it seems to only be upper tips that would have come into contact with the fabric). Is spinach too tender for floating row cover? Should I hoop it? Or should I be looking for some other culprit?

Chris Bailey