market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Weather

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Weather
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 08:09:04 -0400

On Apr 8, 2010, at 7:32 AM, Allan.Balliett wrote:

Hey, it seems that my on-line weather service used to hazard a guess
on how much precip we'd get if we did get precip but now I can't find
where it does that.

Do you use a forecast that can tell you that you have a 30percent
chance of rain on Saturday and that rain c.b. x#of inches?

(I know, it's pointless, isn't it? But, for some reason, it makes me
feel better to think I know what's coming down the pike!)

Thanks

-Allan in WV where we are having serious climate change, or so it would appear

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/

Click on the "QPF" box, probably, and go from there. You can get "quantitative precipitation forecast" maps for the continental USA for the next 3 days by 24 hour, 12 hour, or 6 hour periods: which can also be useful for telling when they think the rain is going to start in your area.

If you type your "city, ST" into the box on the upper left, you'll get a 7 day forecast that will include the percentage chance of any precipitation at all.

Actual results, of course, may vary. And I always think it's interesting when their overall forecast says "30% chance" and the QPF page calls for a solid inch over the whole area . . .

Around here there's the further complication that there may be an inch of rain two miles down the road but nothing at all here (or, less commonly, the other way around).

-- Rivka; Finger Lakes NY, Zone 5 mostly (where we keep having 80+ F temperatures at a time of year when they should maybe be 50's. The apricot and plum have all gone into bloom, which is almost certainly unwise of them.)