market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Salting tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Todd Lister <toddlister1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Unschooler AT lrec.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Salting tomatoes
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 21:08:28 -0400

Not to mention 1000 lbs of fertilizer per acre. OUCH!
Todd

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 9:27 AM, <sunnfarm AT netscape.com> wrote:

Back in the 1950's when NJ was the top tomato growing state in the USA farmers only had 5-10-5 fertilizer. It was applied very liberally at 2000-4000 pounds per acre. This fertilizer had a huge amount of salt and we think the salt stimulated the mechanism that lead to greater flavor. That is what we are trying to find out today. I agree salt is toxic to roots, worms and microorganisms which is why modern growing practices minimize salt buildup. I use the old method of growing tomatoes though I keep fertilizers below 1000 pounds per acre. I plant on bare soil and use no stakes and tomatoes taste great. I have done ground water saline tests for 20 years and have seen no increase in salts... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

Are you worried at all that this is making your soil unusable for growing nearly anything else in the future? It's awfully hard to bring back salty soil into useful production. I can't imagine adding salt to soil....seems to defy common sense.  I don't care what the research said about the taste of tomatoes grown this one year....I'd worry about what that salt was doing to my soil for the next 100 years.  (Not to mention groundwater, surfacewater, etc.)

--Leslie

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.