market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Salting tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leslie Moyer <unschooler AT lrec.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Salting tomatoes
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 10:38:00 -0500

On 4/2/2010 10:26 AM, sunnfarm AT netscape.com wrote:
20100402082646.96CA45F2 AT resin12.mta.everyone.net" type="cite">
This year we are trying a product called Sea-90 which is a mineral product derived from evaporated sea water. I don't know what the results will be since we only have one year of test. One unexpected result was that sea 90 treated rows matured up to two weeks earlier in a fall crop.

Are you worried at all that this is making your soil unusable for growing nearly anything else in the future? It's awfully hard to bring back salty soil into useful production. I can't imagine adding salt to soil....seems to defy common sense.  I don't care what the research said about the taste of tomatoes grown this one year....I'd worry about what that salt was doing to my soil for the next 100 years.  (Not to mention groundwater, surfacewater, etc.)

--Leslie