market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] to wash or not to wash greens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>
  • To: idyllwildfarm AT gmail.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] to wash or not to wash greens
  • Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 11:28:42 -0500

Greetings,
Is anyone using cold air for cool down? That is how we cool our tomatoes and I would like to use the same system for greens.
Bright Blessings,
Kim

Idyllwild Farm wrote:
I agree 1000%. Am pick, followed by wash and cool down makes for a way better product.
The wash and cool down goes for almost anything that is going to get thrown in the cooler/walkin/fridge.
The faster you remove field heat the better things hold up and in the Summer things are still warm in the am, just less so. Some even start the process in the field, because it's so important. Getting things spun dry is also way important, but remember, the refridge is also a drying environment.