market-farming - [Market-farming] to wash or not to wash greens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: E C GRANATA <elainegranata AT msn.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] to wash or not to wash greens
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 18:16:23 -0600

Folks:  I read about a chef who has his own garden and recommends NOT washing lettuce/salad greens -- says you can't get them fully dry and it's less handling/bruising.

If I can pick early before there's any real field heat, I've not been washing for my CSA-- just bagging and putting in the walk-in cooler till pick up time.

Does anyone know why this isn't a good idea?  Sure saves time.

Elaine
Denver