market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] grain growing, was as if farming weren't hard enough

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] grain growing, was as if farming weren't hard enough
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 13:29:50 -0500

On Mar 7, 2010, at 1:56 AM, KAKerby AT aol.com wrote:

Are there any small-scale grain growers on the list, either for your own use or for sale?  We're not in a big grain growing area, darnit.  I know of only a handful of growers in the region who plant small grains in any appreciable quantity and most of that is turned under as a cover crop.  Only one harvests enough grain to warrant a combine.  We've tried some experimental plots in the several-thousand-square-feet size range.  They did really well but harvesting was a real pain.  If anyone has some experience harvesting, threshing and separating plots of grain using PTO or walking-tractor-driven implements, suitable for plots in the 5000 - 12000sqft plot size range, I'd love to talk to you.  Closest I've come to finding an appropriately sized implement in this area is an ancient John Deere model 12 pull-behind combine.  I'd love to hear about other options.  Preferably options that don't cost an arm and leg.

I'm not myself going to be any help here, but I don't know whether you might get some help from these people; they're focusing on the wrong part of the country for you, and I'm not sure how much of what they're doing is focused on very small plots, but they might have recommendations on small-scale equipment.

And I thought some of those on this list might be interested to know that this sort of thing is going on: