market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] as if farming weren't hard enough

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] as if farming weren't hard enough
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 01:56:57 EST

Thanks for the article.  Interesting stuff, of the not-fun variety.  I first heard about this new flare-up of stem rust a few years ago, from a friend who is marginally involved in bulk wheat purchases.  To be honest, at first I thought her worry about this being some big new doom was an over-reaction.  Maybe not so much now.  Here's another interesting article on some of the politics and financial issues also at work in monitoring and controlling this and other wheat diseases:

Are there any small-scale grain growers on the list, either for your own use or for sale?  We're not in a big grain growing area, darnit.  I know of only a handful of growers in the region who plant small grains in any appreciable quantity and most of that is turned under as a cover crop.  Only one harvests enough grain to warrant a combine.  We've tried some experimental plots in the several-thousand-square-feet size range.  They did really well but harvesting was a real pain.  If anyone has some experience harvesting, threshing and separating plots of grain using PTO or walking-tractor-driven implements, suitable for plots in the 5000 - 12000sqft plot size range, I'd love to talk to you.  Closest I've come to finding an appropriately sized implement in this area is an ancient John Deere model 12 pull-behind combine.  I'd love to hear about other options.  Preferably options that don't cost an arm and leg.
Kathryn Kerby
Frog Chorus Farm
Snohomish, WA