market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pricing for early season, specialty greens?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pricing for early season, specialty greens?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:34:34 -0500

Hi Richard,

The pricing is going to strongly depend on your market. I would suggest
looking at the closest wholesale terminal market prices for those crops
(which does not really reflect what restaurants actually pay, generally they
pay more depending on their size) to get at least some idea of availability &
what the pricing is. Not all of those crops will be listed. And of course,
your's will be much superior to what is offered wholesale because of the
freshness.

If you really want to develop a long term relationship with these chefs, I'd
suggest you pick out one or two of them that seem the most into local foods
and ask for pricing advice. Explain how difficult is for local, smaller
growers to find pricing information. Ask if one will give you a copy of their
specialty produce company's price list. Ask if one them would be willing to
advise on price in exchange for price breaks or to give feedback if you are
too high or too low. Most chefs who really want to work with local growers
really want us to succeed. So they're willing to give guidance. If you find
that the chefs you're dealing with aren't that into what you're doing, they
might not be good long term customers.

Just my opinion and my 2 cents, hope that helps some.

Kim
www.barkingcatfarm.com