market-farming - [Market-farming] Pricing for early season, specialty greens?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Pricing for early season, specialty greens?
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 09:02:17 -0500

A couple of local restaurants have been asking for early spring
greens. Such as arugula, mache, cress, chickweed, etc. I sold a bit
to them last year, would like to develop long term relationships with
them (as would the 3000 transplants just put in.)

Some of these early greens are naturalized and growing under row
cover, along with fall sown spinach, others like chickweed and mache
are growing on south facing slopes here and there on the farm (non
pasture areas).

I can pick, sort and wash these greens ready now, but am wondering
about appropriate prices.
We did spinach and leaf lettuce for $2 per 1/4 bag last year, but
these early greens are more tedious to gather and prepare for sale.

How could I (do you) offer such specialty, early greens, both in terms
of price and packaging?

Thanks,
Richard Moyer
Moyer Family Farm