market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Mechanical transplanters; was onion plants again

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Mechanical transplanters; was onion plants again
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 09:01:13 EST

We have used a water wheel transplanter for a long time, wouldn't be without it.  We have planted in the dirt with it but it really shine's when you are using raised beds and plastic. Direct in the dirt some times the water holes will get plugged up and you have to clean them out.  You just have to regulate the water flow so the ground around the plant is all that get's muddy.  We plant roughly half of our garden (1/2 of 17 acres) area every year with it and the other half has a cover crop on it for next year's crops.

Phil from Iowa